Saturday 1 November 2014

GOD HAS BEEN EXTREMELY KIND TO ME- NIKE AKANDE REFLECTS ON LIFE AT 70


 
Nike Akande

Boardroom amazon and grand dame of the Nigerian society, Chief (Mrs) Onikepo Akande is 70. The accomplished industrialist, who is regarded as the quintessential role model by most successful Nigerian women, is on the board of several companies. 
Akande attended Queens’ School, Ede (now Ibadan) and the North-Western Polytechnic, London (now University of North London) where she read Accountancy. Later she did her post-graduate programme at the prestigious Harvard Business School Boston USA 1990 and a management course at Oxford University, United Kingdom and also at International Institute for Management Development in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Akande has attended various professional courses locally and internationally and has extensive experience in financial and business management spanning a period of about 40 years. She was first appointed a Minister of Industry in December 1997 (the first woman to hold such position) and re-appointed in August 1998. In recognition of her outstanding virtues and hard work, Akande was conferred with the national honour of Officer of the Order of the Niger in 2003; and just recently, she was bestowed with the Commander of the Order of the Niger, CON.
As an accomplished management and business consultant, Akande is a member of over 20 national committees, councils and associations. Also, she holds the traditional title of Ekerin Iyalode of Ibadanland. 
 In this interview with The ELITES, Akande reflects on her life, as she takes us into her trajectory of success. 


How do you feel at 70?
I feel very happy at 70 because it is a very significant age for me. My mother and my uncle, Chief Olu Aboderin died before they were 50. So we have been so scared and prayed that God would spare my life so I can live long. I cannot thank God enough for giving me the grace to attain the age of 70. God has been merciful to me. He has done so many things in my life. If I start to relate them, it would fill a whole book. I have been extremely lucky. Good things come to me and people look for me to be nice to me. I have enjoyed good health and been reasonably successful in life. When I was a minister, I was on the board of so many companies, without my lobbying for anything. God has been
extremely kind to me. It is not because I am special but God wants me to be blessed.

At 70, would you say you have covered all areas of accomplishment and achieved all?
I cannot think of anything that I can achieve which I did not achieve. Many things have come my way and I should be grateful. It is not possible to have everything. There is nothing that I know of, that is so special that I have not achieved. I thank God for that he has done in my life. I have had wonderful people in my life and around me and I thank God for his mercies.

So, would you say you feel fulfilled at 70?
I am a fulfilled and happy person. That is why I always smile because I thank God. I have a special song which I always sing: ‘Elo ni mo san, fun Oba ogo, elo ni Jesu mi gba, Elo ni mo san, fun Oba ogo, fun ore Re, lori mi’.

You have a solid family pedigree on both sides. Can you give us an insight into your family background?
My father was late Alfred Mosadogun Adisa of Ile Oluwo, Afobaje Ibadan. They are the kingmakers. Every king maker must come to our house and that would be the last time he would ever prostrate to anybody. My mother was from the famous Aboderin family. She was the elder sister of the late Chief Olu Aboderin, Chief Moyosore Aboderin, Chief Olajide Aboderin, Madam Sariyu Odunola and Chief Ajibola Ogunsola. My grandmother was an extremely rich woman; one of the richest in Ibadan. She was Madam Janet Alatede Aboderin. From a tender age, we were going to London on holidays with my late father. My grandmother also had a house in England some 60 years ago. She used to travel to England and whenever she was in England, she would not stay in the house she bought. She would stay in Savoy Hotel with Late Moyosore Aboderin. We had a nice, contented, happy life and extremely pleased with life. I have never been in want for anything. My parents were comfortable. My mother died young but she had many houses before she was 50. We are used to hard work in my family. But we are not rich. We are happy and contented. Chief Ajibola Ogunshola is the only surviving child of our grandmother and he is the family head in that line. My grandmother had him to look after us and he has been performing the role well.


You are the first of four girls in your family. You have always maintained a close-knit relationship with your sisters. What informed this?
Yes, I am the first. I do not come from a polygamous family. I come from a monogamous family. My father had only one wife, and he had four children. They are all girls. My sisters are: Olori Moji Abass, Mrs. Olaide Ogundipe-Alatise and Ms Mercy Adisa. My mother died many years before him but he did not remarry. He was a decent, disciplined and highly intelligent man. He was full of love and he would refer to us as his angels when people asked if he did not have a male child. Then I was so happy that I made him proud before he died. My mother died at age 49, and that was the age at which Late Chief Olu Aboderin died. That was why I was scared. I threw a party when I held my 50th and 60th birthdays. I would do same for 70 and 80 as well. My father was disciplined. We were well-brought up. After my mother died, he made my sisters and I become close to each other. We would always talk to, respect and show love to one another. Being the first child, I made sure my sisters were happy and I would do what I could do to ensure that.

What was the driving force behind your determination to be successful? 
When I was young, being the first child, I was always told to be responsible and take care of myself. I have also been ambitious without showing it. I have held leadership positions since I was young. When my mother died, I used to take the position of my mother in Aboderin family. I would stand with big people. I was also a school prefect at Queen’s School, Ede. When I was young, my mother hired a private teacher for extra-mural classes for me. At that time, the teacher, who is now a professor was discussing about the death of Chief Bode Thomas, who was a Minister then. I was interested in the story. The professor asked what I knew about being a minister and I told him I would be a minster in this country. When I became a minister, he came to look for me at the ministry to
remind me of this. Personally, I like to hold leadership positions and I do it to help people, not by force. At Harvard Business School, I was also the chairman of the International Students Association. People always saw the leadership quality in me.

What are your winning points?
My winning points are to be nice to people and help them as much as possible. If people have problems, do not add more to their problems if you cannot help them. I always believe in trying to help people and contributing my quota in the development of Nigeria. I know there is high rate of unemployment in Nigeria and I try to give employment to people who have come to meet me. I have been able to help a few people as well. When I went to Queen’s School, Ibadan to see the principal, I saw that the administrative block was not looking nice and I promised to do something. I was on the  board of PZ Foundation and I told them to do something for my alma mater. They constructed a brand new administrative block. Once I know someone who needs help, I do it without the person asking for help. 


Many women look up to you as a role model? What would be your advice to these women?
They should be hard working. I cannot stand lazy people. Hard work is the secret of any success. You have to work hard no matter how you look. Some women look nice and their beauty may fade after some time. They would be left with the other qualities in them. At any particular time, they should not think of the beauty alone. They must continue to develop themselves. I am always one for training and re-training.

You have been married to your husband for 40 years. How did the two of you meet? 
I met him when I was a student in England. He had just qualified as a lawyer. I went to finish my Higher School Certificate which I had already started in Lagos. I met him in England but he came back to Nigeria before me. When I finished and came back to Nigeria, we met again and we later got married.

How have you been able to manage the home front?
Marriage is not a bed of roses. You have to give and take most of the time. You also have to bend to please each other. There is planning in everything. I try as much as possible to please him and I am sure he also does the same thing. He does not stop me and I thank God for that.

In your own estimation, what are the ingredients of a durable marriage?
The first is to love each other. The second is to be tolerant. You are both different human beings coming from different backgrounds. You will offend each other sometimes but you have to tolerate each other and you have to continue to do your best. There are few challenges that could come in marriage but just continue to do your best and pray to God to surmount all these challenges.

What dictates your dress sense?
It is inborn. I just like to look nice and please myself. I wear clothes that suit my occasion and I enjoy dressing up. I feel happy when I look nice and when I look in the mirror. I like bright colours like pink, red, wine orange and purple. I like colours that stand out in public. I do not want to be lost in the crowd. I am not one for diamonds but I prefer pearls. I used to wear white pearls right from a tender age. I prefer pearls to gold. My official dressing has a lot of pearls. My grandmother used to call all her grandchildren to Ibadan. I liked to wear hats. I also wear both English and traditional outfits. When I was the Minister of Industry, I promoted Aso-oke. All our traditional clothes were heavily promoted and they looked nice. Whenever I want to dress in Western outfits, I wear good ones. I also try as much as possible not to be too fat so that I can look nice in English wear.

You look great for a 70 year-old woman. How do you maintain your trim look?
I do exercise sometimes but not strenuous ones. I have a massage chair that I sit on to do all the massage for me. I try as much as possible not to over-eat. My type of lifestyle is exposed to different kinds of good food. I can eat anything, but every day, I must eat vegetables and fruits because I know they are good for me. I also take a lot of water and I do not drink alcohol. Sometimes I get tired of drinking water and I drink juice because of the taste.

Your hair looks nice too. How do you maintain it?
I am lucky to have a nice hair and it grows fast. My nails are long and I have a nice skin. I visit the spa sometimes but not a lot because of time. I wish I had more time to do that. But what I eat also contributes to a good skin.

Having attained the age of 70, do you plan to set up a foundation?
No, I don't. I do not have a foundation in my name but I am a member of some foundations. I do mine without making so much noise. I am a trustee of an association that cares for the elderly people. I am interested in them. When people grow old, they do not want to be forgotten. I also give things out without being asked. Some people who own foundations are not sincere; they would want you to
bring money. I do mine without asking people for money and I help people in my own little way. I have trained people but I do make noise about it.

What informed your decision to study accountancy?
When I was in school, I was good in mathematics at Queen’s School, Ede. Also, when I went to do my HSC, I wrote mathematics and physics. My uncle,Olu Aboderin was doing accountancy and I did not want to be an engineer. I decided to do it as well. I have a flair for figures and details. I am happy with what I have done and I am contented.

What makes a woman fashionable?
Wearing what suits you and what looks nice on you, without necessarily wearing the latest trend is what makes a woman fashionable. One should be modern but it should be soothing and pleasant for people to look at you.

Do you still have dreams you nurse at 70?
Of course, I do. I pray that God will give me long life, so that I can enjoy the rest of my life in good health. I feel really fulfilled and happy with life. I thank God and keep on thanking Him. I have repeated this many times because if I do not thank God, I would be an ungrateful person. It is not because of my will but God chooses who He wants to help. That is why I would never run down anybody. If some people are not successful, it is not their fault, except for people who are deliberately lazy. And people who are lazy never make it.

Who are the people that have impacted on your life?
In the family, I have three members that are members of the family: Dr. Lekan Are, whose mother is an Aboderin; Professor Bashir Akande- he is my cousin but the head of the Akande line, not my husband’s; and Chief Ajibola Ogunshola, he is the head of the Alatede  Aboderin line. We are close; they know everything I do and I am influenced by them. I am extremely grateful to them that we are a very close-knit family.

Looking back, would you say life had been good to you? 
Yes, life had been good to me and I thank God for His grace. Sometimes when you are lucky, some good things will naturally come your way and I have been lucky. God has been kind to me. People look for me to help me in things I do not know. It is not common. I was a delegate at the National Conference. If our recommendations are approved, this country would be a better place. The calibre of delegates that were there were dedicated people who love Nigeria. We worked hard at the conference. Success does not come over night. That is what people do not understand. We are working hard to find a way out of everything. But gradually, things are improving and it will continue to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment