Monday 6 October 2014

TRIBUTE: IN REMEMBRANCE OF MY SON, DIMGBA BY DR DOYIN ABIOLA




Dimgba Igwe


“Sometimes, when one person is absent, the whole world seems depopulated.” – Alphonse de Lamartine



I met Dimgba Igwe through Mike Awoyinfa, his “twin brother”. They could not have been closer even if they were blood brothers. Mike was relatively new at the Features desk as Features Editor of Concord newspaper (I deliberately did not write “defunct” as prefix to the word Concord because Concord lives on in most Nigerian news­papers currently populated by inspir­ing and outstanding ex-Concord staff members!)

As the Managing Director of the Con­cord Group of Newspapers, part of my job specifications was to originate marketable ideas for fiscal sustainability of the group of newspapers as a business venture. To do this, I routinely took time off to update my knowledge of current media practices and ideas for business growth. The pressing is­sue, on my mind, on this particular retreat was our stagnating circulation figures, es­pecially during weekends.

I came back with what I considered a “brilliant idea”. I called a meeting of edi­tors where I enthusiastically laid out my thoughts for a new weekend paper with its own content and style distinctively different from our dailies. The editors unanimously turned down the idea as a “brainwave” which would not work. I was deflated and had to abruptly end the meet­ing.

But knowing I still held a trump card of having the last say, I decided to change tactics by looking for willing allies, among second-ranking editorial staff, for an editor and a deputy editor to nurture the new title. I thought of Mike Awoyinfa, the Features Editor at that time, and after briefing him, I asked him for a prototype of the proposed weekend paper. His prototype exceeded all expectations and I promptly recommended him as the editor for ap­proval by the publisher of Concord group of newspapers, Bashorun MKO Abiola.

A mixed blessing

Having Mike on board was a “mixed blessing” for me. At least, someone was trustful enough to stake his jour­nalistic future on a new idea, a “brainwave”. But what if the proposed paper did not fly with readers? Mike would have been part of a failure that was primarily not of his own doing. But he never wavered in his enthusiasm and bravely accepted the editorship of what his colleagues had dismissed as an unviable project. And even though I did not share their view, I understood their fear. Concord Group of Newspapers have had to defy all publishing odds, to become a force to be reckoned with. Understand­ably, my cautious colleagues were not ready to upset our apple cart. But I’ve always loved taking chances and hoping for the best.

Mike, as the designate editor for the new title, and as customary in Concord establishment, he was given the chance to pick his own deputy. An editor deserves the right to choose a deputy he believes he can work with as a team to enhance the success of their paper. Mike chose Dimgba as his deputy and they made history with Week­end Concord in style, content and circulation. In short, Weekend Concord became the largest circulating Nige­rian newspaper, with a million copies sold on Saturdays nationwide.

My regret

One of my managerial regrets was to succumb to peer group pressures to shut down Weekend Concord for delv­ing into societal “salacious blind zones”, no holds barred! But in retrospect, Weekend Concord, the paper was mild in comparison with current social media contents. Week­end Concord came before its time.

But even though the paper was abruptly rested, Mike and Dimgba never held a grudge against me. No grudges whatsoever against me, even though I failed them when they needed me most to stand firm. That was unforgiv­able, but I plead for their forgiveness regardless. They remained cordial but moved on to higher achievements and maintained their friendship as a testi­mony of tolerance, love and empathy transcending sectional, tribal affinities. Mike and Dimgba exemplified a line of the Nigerian national anthem: “Though tribe and tongue may differ in brother­hood we stand.” They worked together, lived next door to each other and shared thoughts and aspirations.

Post-Concord days, armed with in­valuable media professional experi­ence, they logically metamorphosed as biographers. Their plan is to fill a gap in our national history by compiling a compendium of biographical records of notable Nigerian ICONS in all spheres of endeavours; even if it will arduously take shape one book at a time. They are a part of the devoted, unobtrusive change agents of Nigeria’s renaissance, no matter what it takes.

Organisational man

Dimgba, like Mike, was a simple man with a religious flair. Indeed, he became a pastor who progressively was moulding Mike in his image, religious-wise. Both are exceptional journal­ists who could get news/stories from most reluctant and improbable sources. They literarily feed on NEWS and daily shared current news and ideas through their designated “DHL WINDOWS” of their adjacent homes.

At work, Dimgba was the “organisa­tional man” complemented by the consummate journal­ist, Mike. They made a brilliant pair until death snatched Dimgba through a hit-and-run motorist while jogging a couple of weeks ago.

When I got the call informing me about Dimgba’s death, I instinctively asked after Mike because I was sure they would have been jogging together, but he was out of the country. Thank God for His mercies, I mused. In my mind’s eyes I could see the indefatigable Dimgba, though dead, ordering Mike, “to get on with it”! Knowing him, he would definitely keep nagging Mike to bring to life all of their pending projects. Mike surely will with time, the ultimate healer. And as a mother hen, I have promised to stay close to Mike.

To Dimgba’s wife and children, words may seem hol­low but I quote to soothe an irreplaceable loss: “In this sad world of ours sorrow comes to all; and, to the young it comes with bitterest agony, because it takes them una­wares. The older have learned to ever expect it… Rest assured that as painful as your loss is, it will pass. You are sure to be happy again.” Abraham Lincoln, 16th Presi­dent of the United States. AND MAY DIMGBA REST IN PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment